Monday, January 16, 2012

Truffle Popcorn, Football and the Ghastly Golden Globes


When we woke up yesterday it was 1 degree out here in Vermont. I did what any reasonable parent would do and sent my kids out to ski anyway. They had lots of layers and hand warmers. As selfish as I am, the guilt got the better of me and after I logged six miles on the “dreadmill” (not my term but so good) with no TV to distract me, turns out it was too cold for the satellite to work, they came home. We also had houseguests up and we prepared for a day with lots of cooking, fire tending, football and the Golden Globes.

For football snacks, I made a big bowl of popcorn with truffle salt (recipe below) that dwindled quickly. I also tweaked Ina Garten’s Baked Fontina and served it with endive and celery to “lighten” it. We held our breath as the Giants played the Packers and eased our nerves with a bottle of organic Syrah and Peak Organic pale ale. We all cheered as the Giants took the lead and continued to extend it. It was such a good reminder that reputation doesn’t always matter and that if you come ready to play, anyone can win. The Giants did convincingly.
Before baking, image it melted and browned....ahhhh
While awards were handed out at the Golden Globes, there weren’t a lot of winning looks as far as our jury of nine, kids and adults, concluded. There is so much that’s said about weight and dieting but at the end of the day it isn’t size that matters. I don’t know if it’s a trend but the bed head hair made many stars look unkempt. There was also this prostitute-like makeup look with very dark eyeliner and bright lips that in high definition looked a little scary (the previously primped Clare Danes comes to mind). Then there’s the issue of age appropriate. I am no longer 20 and should not dress or ask my dermatologist to make me look as though I am. We age and with that there has to be acceptance and some wardrobe considerations. My friend’s husband woke up this morning saying he had nightmares about Jessica Lange’s backless dress.  Maybe she didn’t expect to win and have to stand up but she did, not good.  There were highlights, Octavia Spencer from the Help looked lovely in lilac, Natalie Portman elegant as always and Sophia Vergara showed you can tone it down when necessary. She was pretty and polished.
Flattering, appropriate and that color? Amazing
This says star, also says stunning
So while we all spend tons of energy getting in shape, at the end of the day a hairbrush and a good tailor may be just as important. Oh and I am sending Angelina my cast iron pan with baked fontina.

Truffle Popcorn
Heat 1.5 Tbs coconut oil (or other oil) and ¼ cup organic popcorn covered over medium to medium high heat for 3 ½ minutes. Give the pot a shake a few times to avoid burning or sticking. Transfer to a bowl large enough to toss. Add 1 tsp. additional coconut oil or butter and ¼ tsp truffle salt or more to taste. Makes 8 to 10 cups. 
How was your Sunday? What are some of your favorite cold weather munchies? Did you watch the Globes? Any catty comments? What do you think about people with unlimited "help" looking scary?

21 comments:

  1. I can't watch awards shows anymore... so incredibly boring!!
    "dreadmill" made me laugh. I feel the same way. Although when it's freezing outside you gotta do what you gotta do!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa I actually found the "dread" at the award shows encouraging/a good reminder that less is more and that we all have access to the things that can make us look and feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I actually LOVE the treadmill. Crazy I know.

    As for the Globes ... I didn't get to catch all of it but what I LOVED was the guy from "The Artist" who won best actor. True emotion and gratitude was shown and it was nice to see :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did I not know truffle salt existed!? Glorious! Haha and you know i'm with you on the golden globes -- sometimes I wonder if their "team" was too busy butt-kissing to tell them "hey lady... ease up on that eyeliner before you wind up on who-wore-it-best with a raccoon!" =)

    love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truffle popcorn sounds fabulous! Again, I am getting my celebrity news from you , Lauren. At least I did know the Globes were on, but did not watch. Yesterday was actually a great day since I finally got all the Christmas ornaments and decorations put away :-) Also got in a weight workout then an indulgent family dinner at our favorite Mexican restaurant. Then, watched two episodes of new family Netflix obsession-Merlin. Watching another episode in bed right now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Madeline- doesn't surprise me you like the treadmill b/c you work hard/seem to enjoy working hard. As for the globes, anything genuine good. Morgan Freeman class act too. Jenn who knows everything no truffle salt? Can I send you some? On popcorn/eggs/baked potatoes ANYTHING, love, love love. You may be right, the helpers are either too trend-focused to know that pretty is always in style OR too concerned with their paychecks. I love that I may be in leggings and a giant ski sweater but my hair looks brushed, makeup minimal but normal etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What is Merlin EA, you were way more productive than I was I cooked/cleaned/workout out/cooked/cleaned/sat with my friend chatting by fire/cooked/footballl/cooked more football/cleaned/golden globes. Sad but fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I watched Masterpiece Theater and ironed clothes and tried (failed) not to snack. Then I watched the end of an Abbott and Costello movie before falling asleep. So.Exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not a good ironer, that would've been a good new years resolution.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That backless dress on Jessica Lange was a hot mess. Just terrible. And all of Hollywood needs to step away from the spray tan. Such a poor choice. We, too, had truffle popcorn while watching the GG!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YUM! I never thought to use coconut oil for the popcorn. I will try that next time I make it.
    I have to watch the recap of the red carpet since I was not able to tune in.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I find you can use less coconut oil than other oils plus love the flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't watched an awards show in a long time but I do like to check out the best/worst dressed lists. Sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't but it's always entertaining.

    I love popcorn. I ate it as a snack yesterday too but with nutritional yeast. So good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was watching and eating homemade oatmeal cookies (poor food choice, nothing like hollywood to induce guilt) and really wishing meryl streep had let me at her wardrobe/hair instead of whoever put that western curtain on her. sad!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. very true on the dresses and make up and i want your popcorn you can find Thai basil leaves in Asian grocery stores so good

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was eating soy ice cream with walnuts and semi-sweet chocolate chips. De-lish!! I watched the Globes but was underwhelmed. Jessica, I totally agree about Meryl's ponytail!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Meryl was so bad but somehow she can get away with it? Rebecca, thai basil what other foods can you use it with?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't stand the Golden Gloves, I'll be honest. Usually I have never seen ANY Of the movies, but this year Nick and I have been movie fanatics so we did end up watching them a bit, and they were....lame as always.
    Your popcorn sounds wonderful. I've never heard of truffle salt! Who comes up with this stuff?!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I did watch the Globes. I LOVE award shows so this is my happy season! I actually liked Angelina's dress but she looked positively scary.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cannot verify Sam but read Angelina fasts in solidarity for countries she visits...seems like an excuse to fast and at this rate she'll be more frail then they are.

    ReplyDelete
  21. We watched from our hotel room in Fl. and I fell asleep at 10. I missed Meryl's dress. Wasn't too offended by Claire's make-up (bright lips are on trend) and didn't mind Jessica's backside. When all is said and done they don't give a crap about our opinions anyways. Angelina is positively frightening and I pity Brad. She must be such a B**%! to be around. I've never fasted, but I have certainly restricted and I was abysmal company in those days. Hollywood is it's own brand of crazy.

    ReplyDelete