Monday, May 5, 2014

What I discovered I stink at

I just finished the glass of water in front of me. While that may not sound like a big deal, it’s unusual. I took a spin class this morning, had a green smoothie for breakfast and just had a kale salad “no croutons” for lunch. I mention these healthy checklist items only to show you I practice what I preach suggest. That is, except when it comes to water. This spring we launched our Foodstalking program. Anytime there is anything new at Foodtrainers we all test-drive it. So, Joanna stalked me daily. Each night I emailed over my food, exercise, supplements and water intake for the day. It became clear and I was not hitting the 80 ounces I suggest. And I wasn’t even close.

Yes, I like green juices and green tea and coconut water and COFFEE but when it comes to water, I suck. Or I should say I sucked because all it took was my stalker challenging me to improve my hydration and I did. Instead of taking my vitamins with a sip of water, I finished the whole cup. I brought my Bkr and Lifefactory bottles with me to workout and didn’t allow myself to check email or anything else until I finished them. I rediscovered my decades dormant chugging skills and took great pleasure using my fitbit app to track my water intake (you fill a person up with water, it’s very gratifying).

We soon discovered Carolyn was also lacking in the water department so we declared it “hydration nation” at Foodtrainers. I know it sounds dramatic but afternoon energy dips were history, workouts improved and appetites decreased. We are people who would score pretty well on a wellness exam and yet getting one piece of the puzzle in order made a huge difference.

And I expanded hydration nation overseas. I was just in Italy for my mother’s birthday. I had aloe water on my way to the airport, water or tea every time it was offered (I lost count) on our overnight flight and once there made sure I adhered to our one for one rule. That is I had one glass of either “frizzante” or “naturale” water for each glass of prosecco. If you’ve met my mother you know that means I hydrated well.
Are you at 80 ounces of water a day? What tricks do you use to encourage yourself to drink? Are you “frizzante” or “naturale”?
And if you want to be stalked email info@foodtrainers.net.



8 comments:

  1. ha! finally something i do better than you, lauren! i would say i have 80 oz plus at least five days a week. but i suppose my daily glass or glass + half of wine negates the good effects of the water! :-) glad you had fun in italy! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect timing as usual Lauren! As I was reading this, I shamefully looked over at the forlorn and very full 16.9 ounce bottle of water sitting on my desk since 830AM. Sadly, it was the same bottle I brought to the gym with me earlier and barely made a dent in it. Chugging it now. (but technically, can't tea or other beverages - coffee! - count towards the 80oz? and yes, I'm trying to find a loophole). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually drink a lot of water and have no problem drinking 80 ounces a day. But once in a while, I fall short (when things get super hectic), and I always can tell right away! Water makes such a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really does, you're such a systems person Andrea not surprised you ace hydration too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. they can count and trust me I've used the loophole but you need the water, water at some point. One liter by lunch your new goal and hoping that bottle is glass JenC.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Should we start a list Devin- water, reading, parenting, patience 4 things to start with you're better at. Wine every night, maybe a skip night for good measure?

    ReplyDelete
  7. kudos for honesty :) i have no problem, i love water :) but in winter i may have less than 80 ounce , but thanks for reminder :)

    ReplyDelete