Monday, June 23, 2014

Top 10 Savory Breakfasts

Why is breakfast a sugar fest? Even if you’re not eating cold cereal and pancakes what you’re having is most likely a desserty start to the day. Whether you’ve quit sugar with us for June or you’re just becoming more sugar conscious breakfast can be a challenge. I’ve suggested dinner forbreakfast before, but here are some of our favorites from the past couple of weeks.

Eggs- My son and I rush to the farmer’s market on Sunday morning to buy eggs before they sell out. There’s a huge difference in taste between these eggs and supermarket eggs so that would be my first suggestion.

  1. Try eggs scrambled in coconut oil (virgin if you like a coconut taste, refined if not). Sprinkle with a little hot sauce and voila.
  2. Green Eggs- in LBT I have our Green Eggs or muffin frittatas (see below)
  3. Be a Poacher- I'm currently conquering something I hadn’t been able to without a microwave and that’s egg poaching thanks to this there are many versions be sure what you purchase is BPA free.
  4. Paleo bread, without gluten the only bread I eat is this Paleo Bread from Food Matters- I’ve been topping it with coconut butter or avocado and Malden sea salt.
  5. For a little “tartine” try our Orgran quinoa crackers with and wild smoked salmon and Greek cream cheese
  6. Plain, unsweetened yogurt isn’t for everyone. I’ve been using Siggi’s plain and topping it with cinnamon or cardamom. Almond and coffee extract have been useful too.
  7. Sohha Savory Yogurt- Carolyn discovered this savory yogurt and if you can get your hands on it do so. I think we’re going to see more yogurt along these lines.
  8. If you're yogurted out try Nancy’s Cottage Cheese- this organic cottage cheese contains probiotics. Probiotics can improve mood, digestion and immunity. Probiotics also impart a little tang that I like but may come as a little surprise.
  9. Miso soup- if you were in Japan you’d have this for breakfast (or part of breakfast). It’s a fermented food, in my opinion it's the best soy to eat. My two favorite brands are South River and Miso Master. I would skip the tofu and instead use sea vegetables or mushrooms. Click the South River link for an easy recipe.
  10. Savory smoothie- OK so smoothies were a little sad when we first started this no sugar experiment. I don’t even need my smoothie super sweet but super bland was another story. I'm pleased to say I discovered the secret. Blend 1/2 avocado or 2Tbs unsweetened almond butter (or other nut or seed butter), 1/4 cup almond or coconut milk (yup unsweetened), 1Tbs protein powder (love my Green Dream), you can add greens or spiralina and then throw in a handful of ice. And drumroll….the key to smoothies that aren’t sweet and pretty much all of these breakfasts is salt. Add a nice pinch of Himalayan salt. You will not miss the sugar.
I’ve used lavender salt, truffle salt and Malden salt this week so a salty shoutout.

What do you usually have for breakfast? Have you thought about the sugar in your breakfast or your children’s breakfast (a whole other story)? Why do you think breakfast here is super sweet?

From The Little Book of Thin
Green Eggs 
Makes 4 Servings
1 cup sautéed or steamed kale (or other leftover vegetables though if not green, change title)
4 eggs
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp chili powder
Black pepper to taste.
Preheat over to 350 degrees. Spray four cups in a standard-sized muffin pan with Spectrum cooking spray. Divide the kale between the 4 cups.
In a small bowl whisk together eggs, salt, paprika, chili powder and pepper. Pour eggs evenly over the kale in the muffin cups. Bake until just set, 15 to 20 minutes. Let the frittatas cool in the pan for 5 minutes then gently remove.



7 comments:

  1. I definitely struggle with breakfast. I love muesli and porridge and that's all I WANT to eat in the morning. A lovely bowl of steaming hot porridge (I think you guys call it oatmeal) cooked in coconut or almond milk with berries or grated apple, some stevia/raw honey and some crunch from nuts/seeds/cacao nibs/goji berries. In the summertime a bowl of homemade muesli (rolled oats, goji berries, almonds, walnuts, pepitas, chia seeds, hemp seeds, coconut flakes) with almond milk and fresh berries. That would be the most amazing breakfast that I would actually WANT to wake up and eat. Unfortunately, I don't allow myself to eat this, because (after everything I have read about sugar/grains/fruit) I am convinced if I have this for breakfast I will balloon about 3 dress sizes.


    So, I force myself to have an omelette with zucchini and spinach every morning. Or sliced chicken and avocado with spinach. I hate it and it's boring and I dread eating breakfast every morning but I know that it is grain, sugar and dairy free, and not loaded with 'fake' powders (I do try to avoid protein powders as much as possible).


    Sighhhhhhhh… It's boring, but I just do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you Lauren. I hate to hear the word "force" before a food maybe you could split the difference and do a smoothie, at least grain free but can have a little sweetness?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Sohha yogurt looks very appealing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually gravitate more toward savory foods, and I used to love my veggie/egg breakfasts. Since I can't eat eggs anymore, it's been a bit tricky. I often have leftovers/precooked veggies and a protein for breakfast or some plain yogurt with cinnamon and nuts (I'll still have to try adding the cardamom). I also like green smoothies, but I have never made them without any fruit in them (I'm very mindful about only adding a little). A completely fruitless smoothie is next on the list, and I'll try your recipe soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks Ayala, been so busy- can't wait to get back to my blog reading, miss your poems.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you seen Kimberly Snyder's Glowing Green Smoothie? The recipe is: celery, spinach, cucumber, green apple, 1/2 banana, lemon juice and water. She swears by it for breakfast every morning. Could this be an option?! Is it LBT approved?

    ReplyDelete