Monday, January 26, 2015

How Harper's Bazaar and Chloe's fashion director can improve your food day

There are certain magazine features I always enjoy. I’ve written about Us Weekly’sWhat’s inyour bag”? but also make sure to read Bazaar’s “My List” where a designer or fashion VIP lists what happens in a typical day. Different from the gum and mints in US Weekly’s purse feature, these days discussed in Bazaar are super snooty. There’s always a little something international “calls with the Paris team” or “preparing for fashion week in” (insert amazing city). For about 30 seconds I feel boring and inferior in comparison (we all compare) but I push through this and read on. I focus on the meals or non-meals  mentioned. I think I'd rather know mundane details about someone's day than something scandalous.

The most recent “List” featured Clare Waight Keller. I had never heard of Clare (fashion director at Chloe) before reading about her 24 hours. So Clare, she has been known to step on her dog when she first wakes up. Before you feel badly for the dog rest assured he gets blowouts. I’m not sure why I wanted to know more but I did. We must not assume children in Paris eat better, Clare's children (twins “and a little one called Harrison”) have pain au chocolat or a baguette with Nutella, or they might go for a peanut butter sandwich or cereal”. Back to Clare, her exercise includes walking her son (the one called Harrison) to school and “playing tennis in the woods on Saturdays.” She plays tennis in the woods “come rain, snow or anything” not sure if that makes her sound committed or silly (tennis in the snow?).

Clare doesn’t check email until 8am (no email in the kitchen) and follows fashion people “and a few surfers” on Instagram. Sure, I get the fashion/surfing connection…
I learn that they’re “launching” new fragrances at Chloe; I contemplate whether “launch” is a word I now hate but then I see something I really like love about Clare.
this circle is tough to read, happy to discover printed normally in the link/online
1:00 P.M. We're in France, so lunch is at one o'clock on the dot. Everybody vanishes and you cannot get a hold of anyone. Sometimes I eat with friends at a restaurant called Market, with colleagues in the office, or at my desk. I have something light, local, and organic—mostly salad.
Did you hear that? Everybody vanishes for lunch. They aren’t at their desk eating sad desk lunches or skipping THE MOST IMPORTANT MEAL OF THE DAY, they are having lunch or maybe “dunch” as I call it in Little Book of Thin (although a light, salad is not exactly dunch or the ideal lunch).
So, this week (regardless of the impending blizzard) focus on lunch. A solid lunch really sets you up for the rest of the day. As for the rest of Clare’s day? Even the most amazing blowout wouldn’t make it ok for you to step on me.
Why do you think we (I’m including you, I can’t be the only one) like reading about people’s day? Do you make lunch a priority? Do you read or watch anything that makes you feel your life is boring because you aren’t launching anything?

6 comments:

  1. What a very cool feature...I think it's interesting how many different perspectives on French eating I've seen and read. Lunch is a priority no matter where I am because I am usually starving. Some days I don't get to lunch until 2:30 though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay so this just made me smile.... She plays tennis in
    the woods “come rain, snow or anything” not sure if that makes her sound committed
    or silly (tennis in the snow?)....and it's always lovely to escape at lunch :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading what people eat. It is so fascinating to me.


    This one was interesting. No breakfast. Fruit for dinner. Not sure how that would go. I don't eat breakfast myself (very rarely, terrible I know, but I am just not hungry) but I will be hungry in the morning if I don't eat dinner the night before.


    Interesting, I love reading the food diaries of French people - they have this tremendous ability to love and respect food, but not be dictated by it - a concept completely lost on myself, and most of the Western world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2:30 is late Ameena, maybe that's why you're cranky pants. I can only say this to you bc your cranky posts are my absolute favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love people's habits (I guess that's why I listen to them all day long). I wasn't highlighting this woman as how we should eat, just the lunch part. Funny enough Lauren my book resonated with many Italian and French women I think bc it's pro food. Let's aim to not be dictated by it. Love your commentary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have to smile about some of this silly stuff right ayala?

    ReplyDelete