Monday, March 9, 2015

Kate Hudson Says This is Your Cake


I was reading Shape Magazine’s March issue (double Foodtrainers in there, Carolyn discusses “souping” and I explain the pros of pistachios). Kate Hudson is on the cover looking pretty damn good. In her interview she tells a story about an experience in France.

I don’t have the article it in front of me but she describes a meal she was having in Paris when she was a little younger. There was lots of food and wine and she was partaking in it all (if you have Goldie’s genes I guess there’s some leeway). Cake arrives for dessert and an older French woman approaches the table. I’m not sure if she spoke in French or English but as Kate was about to taste the cake said, “no, no, no dear this is your cake” and gestures to the wine.
You simply cannot eat it all and look like Kate Hudson on that cover. We may not be able to look like Kate Hudson regardless but that’s another story. However, feeling good doesn’t mean you’re trapped at destination deprivation you just have to pick your pleasure. In my book I discuss my favorite restaurant rule The Rule of 1 of 4.
When you’re out (or home for that matter) the main “weighty” variables are booze, bread, a dinner carb and dessert. Even if you’re reasonable with portions if some wine, a bread crust, rice and dessert bites is your norm, you may need to be a little more choosy. On a typical night pick one “cake” max as French lady said. On a special occasion when dessert is expected, perhaps you’re at 2 of 4. Strategy is soothing; try to preplan your picks. I’m not out often in a week, so when I am I bet you can guess my choice…

What’s your strategy when you eat out? What’s your downfall? Of these 4 choices what would you most often pick?

3 comments:

  1. Wine!!! I am not a huge drinker, a glass of wine is perfect for me. I can't stop after one bite of cake, so choose to stay away completely. Every time I have observed Parisians (and Italians for that matter) eating out in restaurants, they won't take more than a little taste of dessert. Or bread....
    Great post, Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this approach as it makes me not feel deprived. (Everything in your book just makes SO MUCH SENSE!!!) I almost always choose wine as a special treat. But I have to say that as I'm getting older and my metabolism is definitely slowing down, I don't choose it very often anymore... In the end, I often prefer to eat more veggies, avocado, or a piece of cheese instead of splurging on wine...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheese is my absolute favorite treat, and my downfall is that it pairs so well with bread. On the plus side, I don't do sweet desserts. I love the LBT restaurant outing strategy. It works great, especially if the serving sizes are French too ;-)

    ReplyDelete